Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Opportunity cost behind every purchase

I learned (courtesy: an introduction to irrational behavior, coursera) a new perspective of  opportunity cost that can (in fact, it should) be applied to every single purchase we do. The concept is: 'if I make this purchase for 'x' money, what is it I will giving up in future?'.
Frankly, it took me a while to figure it out. But now that it has been dawning slowly upon me, I realized how important it can be in our decision making. The side effects are aplenty:
1. Makes us think a bit more on future spending.
2. Gives us a perspective how important is this purchase to the present time-frame
3. Compare our emotion or pleasure that we derive by making present purchase to something that can give much more in future,
4. Lastly, curbs impulsive purchases.
Many a time, step into a mall with no clear intention to buy or to-purchase list. Yet, step out of the mall with half dozen purchases, is pretty common phenomena.
On a experimental basis, I started creating and maintaining my to-purchase list. The list goes on the refrigerator listing out items (grocery and non-grocery) which are finished and need to be purchased.
When I started this exercise, I believed it should not make much of a difference, though I do indulge in impulsive spending occasionally and the amount splurged is not that big to take note. I believed I spend carefully.
Surprisingly, following this practice:
* firstly reduced the number of trips I used to make to purchase these 'necessary items'.
* secondly, I am amazed at how less is really required to purchase in comparison to what was being purchased earlier.
* most importantly makes me feel good about myself as I now purchase/consume responsibly. Avoids me to involve in over consumption and food wastage.
* lastly, how wrong I was in analyzing my spending patterns. I understand myself and my temptations better. But this list and opportunity cost twist curbs these temporary temptations and shows only real requirements.
Sometimes, we should be taking such courses. Why I chose to do this course is a long story. But to put it in short, I know I am always irrational when it comes to a lot of things. The title of the course was apt and I wanted to understand human irrational behavior.

No comments: